Thursday, February 19, 2015

Are You a Gossip?

I've been reading a chapter on gossip in my Online Bible study about what to say, how to say it, and whether to say nothing at all.  Gossip is one of those pesky little exciting things that occurs sometimes.  Some people just love to know all about people and their situations, not because they care, but because they want to be the one "in the know" so they can spread the information.  Somehow this can make a person feel important.

I'm like everyone else - I say things about people that I shouldn't sometimes.  I try to catch myself, but sometimes I fail.  I'm always sorry when the wrong things slip out of my mouth and believe me, the ones listening will not hesitate to repeat your words.

When my mind is engaged and thinking with kindness, I hold my tongue.  When we encounter gossip from others, what can we do?  We can either fan the flames and join in, or we can walk away or counter with a positive.  If we do the latter often enough, we will get out of the gossip loop.  No one likes to gossip with someone who won't get excited and participate.

Reading about gossip and the damage it can do to others and ourselves definitely puts it in the forefront of my mind so that I can catch myself if tempted.  We get a new chance each day to be a better person.  Every day is a gift....think and say only good about others today.  Like my Mother always said to me - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.  Good advice. 

Please join me on my new Facebook page of encouragement and inspiration www.facebook.com/everydayisagiftfromgod

No comments: