Saturday, July 27, 2013

Even A Gentle Wind Can Change Things!

My little grandson and I looking for the "big boats" down by the river -
precious times together -
a gentle touch always makes things better!
 I don't really believe in predicting the future and horoscopes, but I will admit that I read mine each morning in the Gleaner, our local newspaper, mainly because I look for inspiring words wherever I can find them!  This morning's message gave me pause and something important to think about.

"Over time, even the gentlest of winds will change the mountainous landscape, penetrate rocks and influence the way the trees grow.  You're like that gentle wind now, subtly changing those around you."

I remember when I was a teenager and dating, my Mother was always concerned because I always seemed to pick boys who needed to be changed - they were always troubled in some way or another and needed help.  I always have been able to see the value in a person, beneath whatever is on the outside, I guess.  She always told me that people don't change and that it was not good for me to be trying to change people into something more acceptable - she was only trying to protect me from disappointment.  Of course, I always disagreed with this, as I know that people are capable of changing.....what I didn't realize till later in life is that they have to WANT to change before they will change.

Throughout my life I have been impatient with people who just seem to always mess up and not do the good things that I see right in front of their face that they should do!  But through all of this life I have lived, I see that change takes time, and my impatience was not a good thing.  So.....every morning I get up and one of the things I pray for is patience.....to give things TIME to work out and people TIME to see the light and find a better way for themselves.
Reading to my precious grandchildren - children watch everything you do and say!
I have come to realize that even the small things that I do and say can inspire someone to think differently about their life and develop a more positive outlook for the future.  I can't just pick them up and move them from here to there and them say "Oh, I get it!".  It is a very gradual influence and done with gentle words, hugs, and love.

Not that I'm perfect in my attitude, but I have also found that change in myself and the way that I think and the things that I devote my life to has been gradual.  If I search each morning for positive thoughts and motivation and start my day out with a grateful attitude, gradually this will become just what I do and I won't have to try so hard.
My boy with his smiley face in the sand!  Smiley faces are a good thing!

How does this tie in with "What's Old Is New Again!" - well, that's easy.  We can become "new" at any age and at any moment in our lives!  I have found that as I age I become more aware of God working in my life.  I was trained to take charge of my life and make things happen - to seek education, better jobs, more money, success - and became frustrated when I saw others succeed above me no matter how hard I tried.  What I didn't know that all along God was working through me to bring me to this place where I am today.  I don't like all the things that have happened that have brought me pain and sadness and caused me to come to this realization, but I know now that God has been with me all along, guiding my way so that by going through my trials and tribulations and successes and failures, He has taught me how to live my life and reach out to help others in a gentle way, and I give thanks to Him for that!
Playing piano with my grandson "helping" me - he watches my hands and plays soft when I play soft, and loud when I play loud!
Be the gentle wind in someone's life today - change is gradual - love each other and gently inspire one word and one act of kindness at a time - and be thankful for those that God puts in your life!

******************************************************************

My antique/gift/yarn shop is a place where people can come and share their lives with me.  It has amazed me all the people I have met from all over this country and the thoughts and dreams they share with me while they are here shopping.  www.facebook.com/memoriespastandpresent
www.facebook.com/memoriesyarncafe

I have also started a Crochet for Cancer chapter in Kentucky in memory of my sweet grandaughter, Sadie Caroline, who we lost to Acute Myeloid Leukemia in December 2012, at the age of 17 months.  Please join us at www.facebook.com/sadiesunshinechapter

No comments: