Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Face of the Antique Shopper is Changing!

Everything in this world, it seems, is changing!  I know it always has been, but as I get older, I believe I notice it more.  Everything is zooming by so fast, and it is exciting to be a part of this every-changing world, observing and trying new ideas, and trying to keep up with the technology.

I have operated Memories Past and Present for almost 9 years and am noticing big changes just this year that have been exciting and interesting to watch.  More and more I am seeing young 20 somethings coming in the store, usually with a friend with similar interests, and the excitement over their finds reminds me of when my friend, Carol, and I used to go shopping at the first ever mall in Evansville, IN, in 1966.  We loved to show each other things that we liked and try things on, and talk and talk, and laugh and enjoy just the looking!  This is the kind of place that Memories is; but of the vintage sort!

I credit most of the new interest in hand crafted items and/or repurposing and upcycling of vintage items to Pinterest and Etsy shops and, of course, our faltering economy!  If you haven't taken a look at these sites, you don't know what you are missing.  I am about to explode with creative ideas from getting involved with these sites!  Out of necessity, too, because of the economy, people are trying to be more creative with what they already have or can make or create cheaper than buying new.

Last week a young lady bought one of those old, old fans and a beat-up suitcase - I can just imagine how she is decorating with these finds!  Yesterday I had two sisters come in who are working together to create items for sale on their own web site and possibly etsy.com.  They looked closely at everything in the shop and purchased vintage jewelry (to them the 1970's and 1980's is ancient)!  It is so fun to see their excitement over the vintage jewelry, when just the other day someone else was making fun of this one dangly necklace wondering who would ever wear it?  I was thinking "I would!".  The world is ever changing!  And I have noticed with styles and trends, it goes in cycles.  The hippie things that I loved in the 1960's and 1970's are now popular again!

I can always tell when someone has been looking at Pinterest by what they purchase: doilies, wooden spools, old quilts, beat up furniture, vintage necklaces and rhinestones, old fans, suitcases, vintage clothing, hats, gloves and more.  I will ask "Have you been looking around on Pinterest?" and the answer is a big smile and a "yes"!

Sometimes I wish I were 20 something again so I could start all over and have time to do all the things I want to do!  But in the meantime, I am enjoying seeing these treasures through the eyes of a young girl full of dreams and ideas and thoughts of an etsy shop!  Wait a minute!  I have an Etsy shop!  Life is good and the future is looking like a whole lot of fun right now!  Check out our Etsy shop we have just opened if you get a chance:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/hendersonmemories   and our Pinterest boards http://pinterest.com/memoriespast/ for some inspiration!  Stay tuned for some great new ideas coming from Memories!

No comments: