Saturday, December 17, 2011

Reflections of an Antique Dealer - Why Am I Doing This?

In the current society, we are surrounded by stuff - stuff that we have accumulated over the years, gifts received, treasures inherited, things we bought to decorate our homes, stuff we made such as needlepoint, painted items, cross stitch, and more - the list goes on and on!  Many people are coming to the realization that they don't need all this stuff around them - in fact, it only adds to the confusion of an already busy and rushed world.

But yet, here I sit in my antique/gift shop surrounded by thousands of treasures yet to be bought  and accumulated in different homes throughout this world.  People still like to give gifts and decorate their homes, but are a little more selective these days and want the item purchased to mean something.  Memories is full of such treasures waiting to be loved once again!  Everything here has a history and has been once loved!

Our treasures come from all types of circumstances and people.  Many items have been inherited and packed in boxes for years and never used, the person not even really knowing what they have.  We also help people who have parents or grandparents who have passed away and need help gleaning the treasures from their homes.  Some come from individuals who are downsizing or moving to assisted living and having to keep only their most treasured items and let go of the rest.  In many cases the transition of giving up these treasures is difficult and stressful.  That's where Memories comes in to help make it easier.  When I say we, and Memories, I mean myself - I am Memories and am very sensitive to people's feelings and anxieties.  It somehow seems easier to hand these treasures over to me to research and place in my beautiful store and find a new home for them, than to send it to an auction to be picked through by strangers who don't know or care where it comes from.

This is my specialty - making the transition easy for others if I can.  I lovingly arrange items in my store into beautiful displays so that someone else can discover them and take them home with them.  They know they are buying something once loved, and that makes it unique and more special in many ways.

At Memories, we are more than just another antique store - you can ask anyone who has ever entered the doors and they will tell you that it is just different from any other they have ever entered.  When I'm tired of being surrounded by stuff every day, and overwhelmed by all the pressures of trying to market my business and keep up with all the stuff coming in, I take a deep breath, look around and remember those who have brought me their treasures - and I am once again inspired.  It's a good life - being an antique store owner, helping others,  and being a friend to my clients and customers.

No comments: